Perhaps the biggest announcement to come from the Microsoft Build conference is that the Redmond, WA giant will join forces with Amazon by partnering personal assistant services Cortana and Alexa. Users will be able to do things like hail an Uber through a Windows 10 PC or have Cortana check your calendar through your Amazon Echo in the kitchen.
More highlights from Microsoft Build 2018:
- Microsoft is open-sourcing the Azure IoT Edge Runtime, allowing customers to mod, debug, and better control edge applications.
- Project Kinect for Azure was formally announced, which is basically a package of sensors and next-gen camera for developers to toy with.
- Azure Bot Service, now boasts nearly 100 new features for creating AI cloud services. Around 300k developers now use Azure Bot Service.
- Microsoft 365, which feels like an extreme version of Office 365. Meetings may never look the same with add-in services like Cortana, Windows ML, and Surface Hub
- The bones of Microsoft 365 include Microsoft Graph, which can preserve the context of interactions in the order they occurred.
- Remember Google Glass? Microsoft plans to reimagine wearable shades as a productivity and collaboration tool. Hit the video below for more details.
- Remember Windows? The big add here is Microsoft showing off more of Sets, a feature that aims to group programs you’re using on specific projects. It also adds rich card interaction to Outlook, which will now support Microsoft Pay so you can pay bills directly from your inbox.